Sunday, July 27, 2008

Laura’s Thoughts on “The Shack”

I want to share with you an awesome book that I just finished reading. It is called “The Shack” by William P. Young. It is a novel based on a mans’ youngest daughter “Missy” who gets abducted during a family vacation. I know, that may not sound like a good read to some but trust me, this book will transform the way you look at God. At certain times in the book your religion will get blown out of the water (in a good way). This writer has a way of thrusting you out of your religious box, and Lord knows we all have them, unfortunately. Towards the end of the book it gets pretty deep. The writer emphasizes the need for a relationship with God rather than a religion and how religion can chew a person up. Relationship is key. The way he portrays the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost is simply genius. Well, that’s all I am going to say. I do hope you read it. I know for a fact you will grow from it in some way. I know I did. Young puts a quote at the beginning of each chapter from various writers, artists, etc. The quote I liked was by Bob Dylan which said “Jesus tapped me on the shoulder and said ’Bob, why are you resisting me?” I said, ’I’m not resisting you!’ He said, ’You gonna follow me?’ I said, ’I’ve never thought about that before!’ He said, ’When you’re not following me, you’re resisting me.’
What a great quote.

I got my book at Wal-Mart, but I’m sure you can find it in bookstores or ask your local library to order it for you. The web site is: www.theshackbook.com

Also, if you've read it or when you read it, I would love to hear your comments on it.

2 comments:

  1. You sold me Laura! I bought the book today and can't wait to start reading it! My sister was with me and she also got the book. Thanks for the push...I had been planning to read this and just kept putting it off. So again God has used you.
    Love,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Betty! I just know you will get so much out of it. Enjoy and feel free to share your thoughts here.
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete