Thursday, December 17, 2009

"Elf"

So I was watching the movie “Elf” last night and there was a scene in which Elf (Will Farrell) says, “I just don’t belong anywhere”. At this point in the movie, this poor Elf had just left his home in the North Pole with Santa and all of the “real” elves and was now looking for his biological father in New York City. Anyways, what struck my heart at that particular moment (and yes I did tear up when he said it) was how often so many people feel just like that; like they don’t fit in no matter where they go.

I was kind of meditating on that today. I thought of how people will do just about anything to fit in. They want to belong to something. They want to be a part of a body of people who see them for what they really are. Basically, they just want to feel loved and accepted. Have you ever felt this way? I think we all have at one time or another…..

Well, before we started school this morning, this thought came up in our devotion time. I wanted the kids to understand that this feeling of rejection will indeed come up in their lives if it hasn’t already. But what I really wanted them to grasp and hold on to, was the fact that God will never make you feel like that. No matter if everyone in your family, your friends, your husband or wife, your boyfriend or girlfriend, your church (yes I said church, sadly) comes against you, God never will. He is always FOR you and if He is for you who can be against you?

Just remember that today, “If God is for you, who can be against you?”…….and if they are against you…..does it really matter? You have the King of kings and the Lord of lords on your side.

Merry CHRIST-mas!

No comments:

Post a Comment